An Academic Adventure

I've wanted to attend graduate school for many years now, and the stars finally aligned. I found an online program that I can do from home at my own pace (anywhere from 2 - 5 years) in a subject that I enjoy AND will have practical applications. And I have the time and resources and mental energy to do this now.

So I applied and was accepted to University of Massachusetts Boston for a Master's Degree in Applied Linguistics with a concentration in Foreign Language Pedagogy. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do when I'm finished, but it will open up some possibilities for me. And if I go back to the same thing I was doing before having kids (teaching high school German), I will go into it with more education and training.

My first course is coming to an end in a few weeks. It's been a great one to start with. It's all about technology in the language classroom. The professor suggested we keep a blog with our notes because it will come in handy when studying for the comprehensive exam I'll have to take at the end of this program.

The rest of this blog will probably be of no interest to anyone else (unless you happen to be studying linguistics and want to read someone else's notes), but it will be a nice central location for me to keep my notes and synthesize my ideas over the next few years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WTF is applied linguistics, anyway?

What do you bring to the table?

APLING678 Week 4 - Reading